Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Recently, I purchased the revered Nikon D800. I am testing it from a "why would you do that" perspective. First of all, this is my first full frame camera. My film camera lens will work flawlessly and exceed the limits of film. Sorry film folks. Since I also have a small collection of DX lenses, I wanted to see why "they won't work" on a full frame camera. The image above is taken with a Nikon 18-55 G f3.5-5.6 DX kit lens. It is remarkably sharp for such an inexpensive glass. When I posted this image on Facebook, it got quite a few likes. The lens is set to 18mm and this is the effect of a DX lens on a FX body. However, once it is zoomed to about 35mm the hard vignette disappears. So, that being said, I bet, an 18-200DX lens will be fine once its zoomed past 35mm or so...

  The other testing I'm doing with this 36mp beast is setting the quality mode to JPEG BASIC. In this mode the files are, in comparison to most DXs, a hefty 4-5mb file. Below, an 85 f1.8G lens is used. I find that the D800 noise is almost nil at ISO 1000 in this photo. The lens is rather sharp and the details are crisp and impressive.


No comments:

Post a Comment