Monday, September 24, 2012

Lightenupandshoot with Mike Thompson

I was extremely fortunate to come to a tag along workshop with Michael Thompson, owner of Lightenupandshoot.com,  in Austin 9/14-16. His workshop covered some basics before heading out to shoot different folks on the streets of downtown. I was particularly impressed with concepts I thought I understood explained the "Mikey" way, and then after ALL THESE YEARS, I "connected the dots"!
It was interesting to be taught basics so differently. I have taken so many other workshops and seminars throughout the years, and it's pretty much taught the same way. And yes, I got it. But, during Mikey's brief review, some questions were asked that I should've quickly answered, but, I froze.
   I had been lucky to calculate my lighting to create my images. There are a few that I really liked, and looked similar to  Mr. Thompson's style. Yet, I felt I couldn't pull it off all the time, or at any time. It had to be in the 'golden moment' of light.  Well, my confidence to create this style of lighting improved greatly. Now, it is time to practice and improve the technique, without taking too long to calculate the lighting. Here are a few samples from that weekend.




   The idea of the workshop is to get the light correct in the camera so that no Photoshop is needed to fix the creation.  Lightroom is used here to further darken the clouds and soften the contrast a bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment